Website Technical Safety BC
To apply – Click here
As an Application Designer, you’ll work with a high performing, autonomous team to establish optimal approach for all stages of work on assigned systems, based on broad direction for desired outcomes. You’ll work with the team to design, development, testing, maintain and support of assigned systems and platforms. Liaise with Leader, development team, business stakeholders, and other IT groups to coordinate work effort, address challenges, develop solutions, and ultimately keep assigned initiatives on track.
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Union
Number of Positions: 1
Pay Grade: 17
Location: Vancouver, BC
Reports to: Leader, IT Development
As a Application Designer, you will:
- Work with a high performing team that works autonomously to establish optimal approach for assigned systems and follow through on all stages of the work based on Leader’s broad direction for desired outcomes. Ensure alignment with other teams, working collaboratively to share and adopt ideas and principles.
- Guide the team in design, development, testing, maintenance and support of assigned systems and platforms to deliver integrated, reliable and flexible products that address business requirements.
- Support the Leader in development, organization and prioritization of “user stories” for designated platforms. This involves capturing the essence of business requirements and desired outcomes to communicate the vision for the product and lay the groundwork for development of detailed plans.
- Recommending and participating in development of processes, practices and standards to support cost-effective, timely, and operationally efficient results.
- Monitoring established controls to identify and mitigate risks as they emerge, alerting and making recommendations to Leader as necessary.
- Providing design expertise and status updates throughout the application development lifecycle, acting as a key liaison between the Leader, development team, business stakeholders, and other IT groups.
- Develop status reports at regular intervals to ensure the Leader is informed of team achievements. Liaise with Leader on resolution of critical roadblocks to ensure development efforts remain on track.
- Conduct research and continuously maintains knowledge and awareness of technology products and industry trends, identifying and recommending opportunities to support and enhance application development activities.
- Provide day-to-day oversight of external vendors and service providers in the delivery of services on assigned systems and platforms.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of reporting team members, with involvement in recruitment and selection; coaching and development; technical guidance; distribution of work assignments; monitoring/adjusting workloads; and reviewing outputs. Provide input to Leader of performance-related matters.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience you have:
- The required knowledge and skills for the position would be acquired through a relevant degree and 5 years of experience in IT, involving development of enterprise-wide systems and providing guidance and work oversight for others, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Drive elements of the product development lifecycle such as product vision, go-to-market strategy, capturing requirements, and product launch.
- Experience working with cross-functional team members (e.g. business stakeholders, software engineering, UX/UI, Project Management, etc.)
- Ability to understand stakeholder pain points and provide application vision and follow through execution to bring product to market.
- Advanced knowledge of the concepts, theories, practices and techniques of the IT field, with emphasis on the development, maintenance and support of complex, enterprise systems and platforms
- Advanced business acumen to lead complex systems development initiatives within the given business context
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills to provide design expertise and critical liaison between the Leader, development team, business stakeholders, and other IT groups
- Advanced planning and coordination skills to assess, prioritize and distribute work; monitor/adjust workloads; and ensure that development efforts remain on track
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills to identify, assess and recommend prioritization of business requirements; and keep development efforts on track
- Good understanding in building web SPA and mobile applications with understanding of base technologies and platforms and trends in the industry.
- Good understanding of the Agile development methodology, including continuous development and deployment.
- Good understanding of security requirements for web application development.
- Basic leadership skills to provide day-to-day supervision reporting team members and support team building efforts
About Technical Safety BC
Technical Safety BC is an independent, self-funded organization that oversees the safe installation and operation of technical systems and equipment across the province. In addition to issuing permits, licenses and certificates, we work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement, and research. Through simplification of our initiatives, we promote understanding and engagement, making safety accessible to everyone. As society changes, we create and adopt new ideas, skills, and tools that will enable us to meet the safety challenges of a highly-connected world.
We’re always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the safety system in B.C. We are strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. Technical Safety BC welcomes those who would contribute to further diversifying our organization, as we are an equal opportunity employer.
Our values guide our work.
- We See Genius in Diversity
- We Foster Confidence
- We Make the Complex Simple
- We Adapt
If you are interested in this position, please apply online. This opportunity will remain posted until filled; however, priority consideration will be given to those who apply by the deadline. To see a full list of our current opportunities or to learn more about Technical Safety BC, please visit our website at technicalsafetybc.ca/careers.
Please note: Technical Safety BC has implemented a mandatory vaccine policy effective November 29, 2021. For more information, please refer to this page on our website.