=== Is this the right fit for you? ===
A senior developer at Mugo (https://www.mugo.ca) has worked on a wide range of different kinds of projects and brings that experience. Their experience includes: gathering requirements from stakeholders; triaging those requirements within the appropriate constraints; owning the solution out to the first delivery, and supporting those solutions over the years of our relationship with clients.
At Mugo, we all take on different roles in different projects, but when in “senior” mode, a senior developer writes excellent tickets for other developers, providing all the support needed to ensure a good deliverable. A senior developer is an excellent communicator, organized, and nice to be around.
Our mission is to build long-lasting, business-critical websites. We develop best-in-class, practical, and efficient solutions that provide good value to our clients. We support our clients’ goals with professionalism and commitment, and keep a focus on developing mutually beneficial long-term relationships.
Getting the work-life balance right is important to us. From the Mugo side, we offer stability and flexibility; from the developer’s side we hope for a long-term commitment. About half the Mugo team have young children.
=== Why people like working at Mugo ===
* We work on interesting and challenging projects
* Our clients trust and respect us
* Our team is technically skilled and values a high quality product
* We’re aggressive about getting better and understand the process of learning
* We make time to help each other
* Ibexa DXP (formerly called eZ Platform) is a rocking framework
* Internally, we make a distinct effort to cut out as much politics and administrative red tape as possible
* We take our work seriously but don’t take ourselves too seriously
* We offer a competitive compensation package and benefits
* We have regular work-at-home days (although, for the foreseeable future with COVID-19, we are all working from home!)
=== What will you work on? ===
We are looking for someone with web development experience, but who can run projects and interact directly with clients.
Some regular tasks include:
* First and foremost, working with clients to understand their needs and to propose and develop solutions to meet those needs!
* Writing specifications and managing projects with both internal and client team members
* Debugging a website issue when the problem is that the client has done something random in it
* Debugging a performance problem where the resolution is somewhere in Apache max clients or MySQL max connections – and the canonically general version of this 😉
* Understanding a client request, validating against a scope of work, and responding appropriately
* Negotiating and persuading diverse stakeholders to common goals, especially client managers, client developers, and third party agencies of diverse kinds
* Retrofitting sites for accessibility according to WCAG 2.0 standards
* Creating efficient and intuitive content models for editors to manage content and gate content available only to subscribers
* Configure site analytics and front-end tag management (with GTM, for example)
* Setting up e-commerce checkout workflows, including integrations with payment gateways such as PayPal, Moneris, and Authorize.Net
* Setting up server architecture to achieve redundancy at all levels of the stack: public-facing servers; MySQL master-slave, Solr, shared file system, Redis, Varnish
=== Qualifications ===
* Expert with the LAMP stack
* Experience with PHP frameworks such as Symfony
* Experience with Varnish or other reverse proxies
* Experience with AWS, load balancers, and other web infrastructure
* Experience with MySQL, master-slave, and performance
* Experience debugging difficult problems on complex production systems
=== Soft skills ===
* Strong attention to detail
* Always improving
* Understand working in a team; from delegating to always delivering for teammates
* Ability to appreciate and critique design and UX
* Fluent communication
* A sense of humour
=== How to apply ===
First, take a couple minutes to visit our website and read a bit more about what we do.
Then, send a cover letter and your resume to jobs AT mugo DOT ca, using the subject line “I love LAMP”.