Salary Range: $60,000 – $70,000
*Relocation Benefits Negotiable and Fly in-Fly Out Benefit Available
|Engineer 1 (Quantity Surveyor) – Site C Fort St John|
|Status: Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk) Temporary||Job Location: Fort St. John Site C Constr Ofc Flexible Work Role: Field
Region: Northern Interior
Powered by water… and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We’re proud to be ranked as one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* Based out of Fort St. John, BC. BC Hydro’s Site C Project has an immediate opening for an Engineer 1 (Quantity Surveyor) in the Project Controls Group. The individual would become an integral part of the site team reporting weekly progress on various key work fronts across the Site C project.
* Reporting to the Site C Project Controls Lead, the successful candidate will support the project by assisting the Site Project Controls team, track the construction progress of various key quantities which will help the Site C Project and its contracts to be managed efficiently.
* The successful candidate will have some knowledge of the heavy construction industry, scheduling, quantity take-offs, quantity validation and verification, progress measurement, including applying rules of credit on projects in the Utilities sector.
* In addition, the individual will work closely with the contractor and the various functional groups of the Site-C Project such as Engineering, Construction Management, Project Management, Project Controls, Contracts, and Finance.
* The successful candidate will also be assisting the Site C Quantity Surveyors with other special assignments.
- Perform physical progress measurement, including verification and validation of the contractor’s quantities on a weekly basis as per the Site C Progress and Performance Measurement Plan.
- Preparation of regular project summary reports for individual work fronts, including the interpretation of the data and trends and risks associated with it and flagging issues or concerns.
- Assist Construction Management and Project Management in productivity assessments. • Develop a strong understanding of the contract scope and specifications. • Working safely, including promotion of a safety above all else culture in the work place.
- Holds a recognized degree in Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering with the eligibility for registration as an Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC).
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated related experience.
- EIT or a starting professional with limited experience will also be considered. • Equivalent degrees that would be considered are degrees in Quantity Surveying. • Class 5 Drivers License.
- Strong written and verbal English communication along with interpersonal skills. • Ability to understand multi-discipline designs concepts depicted on construction drawings.
- Ability to promote effective communication within a multi-discipline team (safety, environmental, regulatory, geotechnical, civil-structural, electrical and mechanical).
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products (Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook) and SharePoint.
- Working knowledge of practical aspects of civil, mechanical and/or electrical disciplines. • Experience at site would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Scheduling Software (P6, Microsoft Project) would be an asset. • Knowledge of BIM, Revit or other 3D Visualization Software would be an asset.
- Self-starter and able to work independently; yet recognize limitations and ask for guidance when necessary.
- This position is headquartered at the Site C Fort St. John Construction Office.
- This is a Full Time Temporary until approximately July 2024; with the possibility of extension.
- This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid bi weekly to Full-Time employees working in eligible locations.
- This is a Safety Sensitive Position requiring a background check and a drug screening prior to employment.
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. • This position is eligible for a travel incentive.
- This position is eligible for BC Hydro’s extended benefit program.
- A condition of employment you must maintain a Driver’s License: Class 5 in good standing. • Please note the work location is accessible only by personal vehicle or carpool. • Shift is 5 days on and 2 days off (5/2) or 10 days on and 4 days off (10/4).
We’re always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It’s an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .
All BC Hydro employees will be required to show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination.
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week
HOW TO APPLY
Don’t forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.